Wednesday, November 16, 2022

When people around us create what is beautiful...

For the last few days I have been making a conscious effort to highlight some of the beautiful things that people around me or who I have run into have created. Scroll through the blog to find these. This is today's offering.


I purchased the candle at a little roadside shop in Welch, West Virginia. The store sells mainly religious items and is run by a couple of very nice women. It's a little dark inside and very comfortable. The candle is jasmine and sweet pea and it smells great and burns very well without being overpowering. The label is stuck on with scotch tape and this is a kind of mason jar. I'm happy with it.

The piece on the right has a more complicated story to it. A dear friend who lives in welch describes it like this:

The contents in the vial are river glass from the Tug Fork River, retrieved by the Reverend Garnet Edwards Jr. To me it has this meaning: river glass starts life as trash that has been tossed in the watershed. Over time, the water and abrasion soften its edges and turns it into something more polished and beautiful. As with recovery and my spiritual beliefs being tied to God in nature, our lives have been transformed from the discarded to something far better. Our edges softened; our very beings changed. And when the light catches it, the river glass sparkles and shines.

I don't know that I could explain anything better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment