Thursday, November 17, 2022

My pumpkin pie and sweet potato pie successful experiment

The other day I got hungry for pumpkin pie, but when I went to the store and saw the prices I knew that I would have to make my own. And as I thought about it, I started considering how I might make a better pie. I did that last night and the picture that I posted on Facebook was pretty popular. Here is a recipe or a description of what I did.

First, I set up my tablet and got radio station WNRV on and put on my White Lily baking apron. These are my good-luck-and-good-eating necessities.

I used the Libby's pumpkin pie recipe that is on their can. I bought all of the ingredients plus a can of sweet potatoes in syrup and some raisins and molasses.

I got a glass baking dish and put in more lard than I needed to.

I made my crust with that Krusteaz crust mix and I added a little brown sugar. I used a generic flour on the rolling board and rolling pin because I didn't want to waste my White Lily flour.

Now, I mixed all of the ingredients as the recipe on the can said that I should except that I used one-half of the can of pumpkin and less sugar and I used one-half of the sweet potatoes with some syrup. I mashed everything up. When I looked at what I had after mixing and mashing it looked kind of soupy so I added some more sweet potato and a little pumpkin and poured that into the baking dish and on top of the crust.

I drizzled some molasses over that. I thought about adding some whiskey, as I used to do, but decided against that.

I put the pie in the oven according to the directions. The directions say that you're supposed to cook the pie at 425 degrees for 10 or 15 minutes and then lower the oven to 350. When it came time to lower the temperature I added lots of raisins and let the pie bake.

The pie was done just as I cleaned up the last of the mess I made and got the flour off of the rolling pin. That was about 20 minutes max. 

I cut and ate my first piece while the pie was still warm. It had the consistency of a good cheesecake. About one-quarter of the pie was gone by the time I came up for air. I put the pie in the refrigerator without covering it up and it was good every time I heard it calling my name and came to see what the noise was about. Of course you just have to take a taste whenever you do that.



No comments:

Post a Comment