Tuesday, November 22, 2022

One of my favorite cups of coffee

Every so often I want to treat myself with a couple of cups of coffee made like I remember the old people doing when I was a kid. This can be a little messy, and its not for every day, but its good.

You're going to need a large mixing bowl and a large saucepan.

In your mixing bowl stir 7 tablespoons of coffee into 1 egg white and add one-half-of-a-cup of cold water. It seems to me that cheap an strong coffee works best. Some people add sugar (I don't).

Add 6 cups of boiling water. Stir that around. Pour it into your saucepan. Let it boil for 10 or 15 minutes.

You can let it set for a little while after it boils or you can pour off the coffee into cups and let it set and add sugar. Either way, you want to let this set so that the ingredients go to the bottom. Some people used to make smaller quantities in those aluminum pots and put a piece of tinfoil over the lip of the pot to strain this. I used to use a strainer. But these days I don't mind getting some grounds and some egg in my mouth.

You can---you probably should---save some of the coffee for red-eye gravy and use the grounds for your garden.

This goes great with pastries or donuts or biscuits and gravy.


No comments:

Post a Comment