Tuesday, November 15, 2022

A simple thing to help the elderly, the disabled, and caregivers

Older people and disabled people have better friends than the Harris Teeter grocery store, but here is something that they're doing that deserves a good word---and shame on the stores that don't do this.

I got the inspiration for another post today on showing some respect for retail and service workers from a woman who runs the V. & V. Family Restaurant in Richlands, Virginia. Every day they put out food and produce a full menu that truly makes my mouth water, but my point is that a small business in a community can try to take care of workers and customers where the big stores can't or won't. Two times this week I have tried to get served at the bakery counter at a local supermarket that was recently bought by a large corporation. The workers are either locked into doing their assigned jobs and can't help me or are running around somewhere else, or perhaps there have been cutbacks. I just can't get served there. When we see someone doing something right, let's lift them up. Ask local stores to carry these carts.

I know that Kroger bought Harris Teeter awhile back, but the chain has kept some of its autonomy. I'm not supporting Kroger here, but with all of the bad publicity they're getting over their latest planned merger we might be able to get more community responsiveness out of them.
 


"Hi- I asked my local Harris Teeter grocery store in Virginia if they had a shopping cart that I could put my 91 year old mother in. She likes to go with me to get her groceries but can no longer walk all the isles. The options left me are to leave her in the car with it running or she has to stay at home. Neither were good options. Turns out they had a Caroline's Cart and it worked perfect! I feel like your company has created a resource that could be so wonderful for elderly seniors. Looking at the options in the lobby for carts, are the regular ones, mini versions for children and motorized which is wonderful for those who still have the skill set for driving. Nothing for elderly who have limited physical abilities at advanced ages but who still live and home and like to get out. By including seniors, caregivers can give seniors an option to get out of their recliners and back into the stores and living...it was a wonderful product! Thank you!!"
  

No comments:

Post a Comment