Monday, January 2, 2023

The Sago Mine Disaster---January 2, 2006

When I started to write this post
I began to abbreviate,
as in "Jan. 2, 2006,"
but this is not a moment
to abbreviate anything.

Spell it out. Scream it. Cry it off.

On this day,
January 2,
in the Year of Our Lord 2006,
a blast in coal mine
in Sago,
near Buckhannon
in Upshur County,
in West Virginia,
in Appalachia,
not far from where I once hunted
and near where I once did flood relief
and a body search,
trapped thirteen miners underground
for two days.

Twelve perished in all
but our memories.
Twelve good men died.
Another good man made it out.

It's called a disaster
because we abbreviate.
If we had to say "murder"
we could not 
come to terms
with what that means.
It's called perishing
because we cannot say
that contracting out
and shell companies
and multinational corporations
make Appalachia a colony
and they will
and do
despoil the land
and crush the soul
and kill workers
if they have to.

We perform a ritual
with our wounding
and call it work.
We perform a ritual
with our trauma
and call it politics.
We perform a ritual
with our dispossession
and say we need
the jobs.

There were warnings enough.
Sago was not safe,
this was well-known.
That first shift went in
when it was dark,
just 6:30 in the morning,
when the kids are getting up for school,
when the coffee might be on,
when someone might be
whispering a prayer,
and then that mine blew up.
The shift never made it
to the face of the mine.

Don't abbreviate. Tell the story.
There were at least forty-seven dead
in the mines that year, or so
my memory tells me.
My conscience has
much more to say.

I was 2550 miles away,
give or take quite a few heartbreaks,
and could not tell anyone what I felt.
For once Oregon's gray cold matched
how my heart felt.
For once I was 
silent and began to understand
miles as heartbeats
and tears.   

Forty-seven killed in the mines that year.
I repeat that because my heart
breaks like ice, and there is anger
in my hands. There was me once telling
an Assistant Secretary of Labor
what death in the mines meant
in a room full of older mine workers.
They knew better than me.
My voice and heart cracking,
and I felt so stupid,
but the room took a breath,
the walls took a breath,
and then those with me
stood up and applauded
and he made a hasty exit.

But on January 2, 2006
I was silent.
Prayer after prayer,
but I knew
that all would not be well.

Why do we argue over how precious life is?
Why is it policy that someone must die
so that my lights go on?
Why is every light in the house on
and yet we're living in darkness?
And why did I feel stupid trying to ask
these questions, so afraid of crying
in front of others?
And why
and how
did those others
feel me?      

Our United Mine Workers of America held strong
and would not be bullied. Sago had been
a non-union mine, but at times like these
hearts can beat as one.

I say their last names:

Anderson
Bennett
Bennett
Groves
Hamner
Helms
Jones
Lewis
Toler
Ware
Weaver
Winans

I say their names again.
Mister...

And again.
Brother...

I do not abbreviate.



  


No comments:

Post a Comment