Thursday, January 19, 2023

A reflection on back roads and destinations

I don't know who wrote the following reflection on traveling up this back road and taking a few breaths but it does speak to me. I'm taking it from The Appalachian Project Facebook page. I think that this is great writing. I hope that it touches you as it has touched me.



A hazy, misty morning road on a seldom traveled backroad snaking up the hillside and disappearing out of view. It just seems like the perfect road to lead to some mysterious and potentially foreboding destination.

I normally don't like traveling alone but, occasionally, it allows some time for introspection. I zoned out while driving and really didn't even know where I was at when this view grabbed my attention. I was in a little bit of a hurry to get to my destination but I couldn't resist stopping to soak up the scene.

I turned my car off and stepped out to check it out and grab this pic. It was another place that was eerily quiet, the only thing I heard was the sound of gravels crunching beneath me as I walked toward the road.

I got to the foot of the hill and just paused. I took this picture then stood still scanning the whole scene. It was a little chilly but that mountain air was so crisp and clean that I closed my eyes and filled my lungs several times to absorb as much as I could.

I opened my eyes back up and just stood there a little longer just to get a little more of the experience. A lot of times in life you aren't aware that you're in "a moment" until it is over with, but this time I knew full well I was in this one.

I really don't need to see this picture because the memory is seared in my mind but I wanted to share it with y'all and I hope you like it.

1 comment:

  1. Very moving story and photo. Glad they took time to share.

    ReplyDelete