Friday, January 6, 2023

Native American/Indigenous Spirituality From The Rt. Rev. Steven Charleston

It has been a while since we posted anything from Native American/Indigenous Episcopalian priest The Rt. Rev. Steven Charleston but his theology is never far from what this blog is about.


"The length of night is not measured by hours, but by the worry we carry with us into the darkness. For a burdened heart the minutes move more slowly than memory. The visual world recedes and we are left like watchmen to keep our lonely vigil high on the solemn walls of our fear. When you face a long night of your soul let go of time and kindle again the flame of hope entrusted to you by the Spirit. It never fails to burn bright. You are a keeper of that flame, a citizen of light only passing through the shadows on your way home.--1/6/23

"Please, Spirit, give me the energy I need to do what you would have me do. There are times when my intentions run ahead of my abilities. I bite off more than I can chew. I spread myself too thin. I become tired and things begin to slip. When that happens, I pray you will do a small intervention: breathe your strength and common sense into me and let me take up my mission with a renewed passion."---1/4/23

"Our song will go on, long after our voices are still. The sound of our joy will be carried on the wind, scattered through the forests, rising as high as the mountains, sparkling beneath the sun. Those of innocent heart and hopeful dreams will hear it. The poor and the lonely will hear it and find the promise they have been seeking. The faithful and the courageous will draw our sound in like a deep breath, so life-giving and eternal will be our song of praise."---1/3/23

No comments:

Post a Comment