Thursday, December 22, 2022

Georgia White Dirt


I bought myself two bags of Georgia White Dirt from Grandma's Georgia White Dirt Company in White Plains, Georgia. The packages arrived today.

I remember hearing about people eating white dirt when I was a kid. I had no reason to think much about it as an adult, but just recently it came to mind and I found a few sources for it. Now, I did just a little investigating and it seemed to me that this was the right company to order from. I ended up calling down to White Plains and I got to speak to a good old fellow down there and the white dirt arrived quickly enough and in good shape.

NOTE WHAT THE PACKAGE SAYS: THIS IS NOT SOLD AS A FOOD ITEM.

I suppose that you can do quite a bit with white dirt. I read that you can make face masks out of it, for instance. But, really, I bought it to eat.

The company's advertisement says that they ship it in a discreet package. This gets to a point that I considered as I investigated. There are probably lots of people eating white dirt who don't or won't admit to it. Eating white dirt may come as part of a stereotype. I don't know about that, but it seems possible. And many people would like to believe, or would like you to believe, that they have "raised above their raisin'" and don't do things like eat white dirt or eat hog jowls or are on good terms with people who speak in tongues or just love layered Jello molds.

The company's slogan is "Every good and perfect gift is from above. BE HAPPY!" That touched me. But you might think that a company that sells a product that is mined might say something good about what comes from below. Then, on the other hand, I can see how that could be taken as satanism by some folks.

Anyway, if you're curious about the taste I'll describe it as slightly chalky and dry. The package didn't arrive with any suggestions on what to pair white dirt with. It probably won't go with a pleasant Chardonnay or as a side dish to any meal.

Nothing that I'm saying here is intended to mock anyone or is intended as ironic. People have good reason to be protective or defensive when the subjects of white dirt, hog jowls, speaking in tongues and layered Jello molds come up. The Bitter Southerner blog talked about this awhile back, so please read what they had to say. Even National Public Radio did a story on white dirt, with the appropriate cautions and warnings. Had I read the NPR story I might not have ordered my packages, but here they are.

This is about finding other tastes and foods and connecting with the country that I love. Even its dirt.    


No comments:

Post a Comment