Monday, December 26, 2022

"From the top of Rattlesnake Mountain you can see the white hem of world..." A teaching from Alberto Moreno

I have once more been gifted with permission from Alberto Moreno to post one of his poems and teachings here. This one takes my breath away. It's cleansing.



From the top of Rattlesnake Mountain you can see the white hem of world. From these rock outcrops I can spot elk migrating. Once I caught a glimpse of two mated lynx below me.

The basin sweeps out and up to the greater Colorado Rockies. Beyond this a crown of mountains encircle this part of the world.

I come up here to take in the sloping shape of the world, to take in the shape and feel of this new life.
The rocks are covered in a blanket of snow today and I don’t know how long I can “sit” for today.
I came up here today to take inventory of a life lived. But also to surrender to this ancestral medicine which now asks for me every week or two. As if it were saying, time for a divine adjustment, my beloved child.

My job is to drag my body up here and to sit for three or four hours while the medicine does it’s work.
It’s uncomfortable. As medicine is likely to be. I try to be a good patient. To this divine physician.
I tuck in my legs and my chin and surrender to this divine process.

When I come to, three hours later, the snow under me has melted. The sun now slung low on the horizon.

The adjustment however painful always feels loving.

I unfurl my legs from under me and begin to gaze upon the valley below.

And in the distance I can see something moving. Its a lanky slinky dark creature making its way over the snow blanketed landscape below.

It’s Coyote. And he’s on the hunt in this wintry tundra.

Coyote who brought us here. To El Norte. To El Otro Lado. It’s an auspicious omen on this Christmas Eve.

The wind begins to howl and I gather my things from the cold rock beneath me and begin to make my way down Rattlesnake Mountain, to a life waiting…

A.M



No comments:

Post a Comment