Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Coopers Rocks, God and Freedom, The New River Valley, And Ola Belle Reed



This photo was taken at Cooper's Rocks State Forest in West Virginia by a young couple identified as Chuck and Cherie on the All Things West Virginia Facebook page. I want to thank them for a series of well-taken photos that touched me. Cooper's Rocks was a special place for me when I lived near there, and the photo above catches some of the beauty of the place. I used to the spot where this photo was taken every News Years Day, sometimes hiking through ten feet of snow to get there. Once there I would have a few shots of plum brandy to mark the moment and then be still with the cold and silence. I can remember it being -7 degrees there without wind-chill, and something like -22 below with wind-chill. I also remember sitting there with one of my hounds and seeing a hawk rise from the valley below and my hound jumping behind me because it frightened him. I think that I learned something about God and freedom there.

I could never go there or to the New River Valley in Virginia without thinking about this song from Ola Belle Reed:
 


No comments:

Post a Comment