Saturday, January 6, 2024

Eight haiku from Sarah Rohrs

My friend Sarah Rohrs is on an interesting spiritual journey and doing the good work that comes with being on that path. I don't want to intrude on that by describing what she is up to, but I do want to share with you that she is writing haiku daily as part of her spiritual practices and that this flows from her recent engagement with the rosary. Sarah has many gifts----writing, photography, curiosity, the ways in which she touches others and serves good causes. She graciously consented to me posting eight of her haiku here. I like these and I hope that she will share more with us. I appreciate the knowing/ unknowing and the lessons carried in her lines.


In dark morning doubt
Word sounds flow in shallow stream
Steady bird listens

Dark candle flickers
Who hears these prayers sounding here
Stone to stone. Silent tree

Whisper drift rose song
Same words pressing air, blue beads
Feeling and presence

Mind wandering sound
Open slowly these petals
Light flickers onward

Silliness of time
Chase white clouds in mind chatter
Mercy in slow eyes

Quiet morning words
Laying down bricks of judgment
Oh world. Oh life. Take me with

Come to love darkness
In winter rest leaf, sun, soil
Children of green dream

Joy comes to follow
In moss grace of worms singing
Your hem in my hands


Photo by Sarah Rohrs

2 comments: