Wednesday, January 24, 2024

An awesome lesson to learn and absorb

This is a post about togetherness and creation. My friend Sarah Rohrs in Salem, Oregon provided the first part of this post by passing on a post from Peter Brouwer about dogs on Facebook. I greatly appreciate the line that says "As I trace the imprints of their paws on the pathways of my heart, I recognise that these canine companions were not just pets; they were cherished co-pilots on the journey of self-discovery" because this has been so true in my own life.

How lonely we would be without the dogs and cats and birds and the rest of God's creation, and how desolate our lives would be without people to remind us of them. 

The second part of the post---the section with the bird photo---comes from my friend Alan Felts in McDowell County, West Virginia. The photo is his and he has full rights to it and it is one of many that he posted on Facebook with the note that I have attached here. Alan excels at many things, and photography and getting the meaning out of things are just two of the the many things he does extremely well. Indeed, birds do go birding and brawling in McDowell County, West Virginia. Could we expect anything else from them there?

Sarah and Alan and Peter Brouwer (who I don't know) are connecting with something essential here. Creation is not something apart from us and so, if we're open to it, creation will teach us, comfort us and help us grow into full human beings and then, perhaps, into something beyond the human that touches the divine.

Our traditional prayers for the dead include lines that say "O Lord, how lovely it is to be your guest. Breeze full of scent; mountains reaching to the skies;/Waters like a boundless mirror,/Reflecting the sun's golden rays and the scudding clouds. All nature murmurs mysteriously, breathing depths of tenderness,/Birds and beasts bear the imprint of your love,/Blessed are you, mother earth, in your fleeting loveliness/Which wakens our yearning for happiness that will last for ever/In the land where, among beauty that grows not old,/Rings out the cry: Alleluia!" Another traditional prayer seems to say that creation is in some sense greater than us, or more prayerful and obedient to God, because "I see the rising sun rejoice in You, and I hear the chorus of birds raise a hymn of glory. I hear the forest mysteriously rustling in Your honor, the winds sing of You, the waters murmur and the stars proclaim You as they move in harmony for ever in Your infinite space. What is my poor worship? All nature obeys You, I do not..." 

These are awesome lessons to learn and absorb. 
 


In the rich mosaic of my own journey, I find myself pausing to cherish the distinct colours and textures that each dog brought to the canvas of my life. From the lively chaos of my first furry friend's puppyhood to the serene companionship of the wise elder who shared the twilight of our days, each one left an indelible mark, a unique brushstroke on the portrait of my life.

Their joyous barks and affectionate nudges spoke a language of love that transcended the barriers of words, creating a silent dialogue between us. In the quiet moments of shared glances and the gentle touch of a paw, I uncovered lessons that went beyond the ordinary, revealing the depth of patience, empathy, and the profound connection forged in the simplicity of coexistence.

As I trace the imprints of their paws on the pathways of my heart, I recognise that these canine companions were not just pets; they were cherished co-pilots on the journey of self-discovery. Their unwavering loyalty and the unspoken bond we shared unveiled the beauty of devotion, reminding me that life's most meaningful lessons often come wrapped in fur, accompanied by wagging tails and an abundance of love.

— Labrador Forums



The birds were birding today.... actually they were brawling County style for a minute too! Check out these little fellas today! Hope you all have a good evening and Be Blessed!! Friday is almost here!

No comments:

Post a Comment