Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Pope Francis Reflects On Matthew 18:21-22 For Our Lenten Journey

Peter approached Jesus and asked him, “Lord, if my brother sins against me, how often must I forgive him? As many as seven times?” Jesus answered, “I say to you, not seven times but seventy-seven times.” (Mt 18:21-22)

Jesus says that no prophet is accepted here because you have no need of one, you are too self-assured. The people whom Jesus had before him were so secure in their supposed “faith,” they were so secure in their observance of the commandments, that they had no need of any other form of salvation. This inner attitude reveals the tragedy of observing the commandments without faith: I am saved only because I go to synagogue every Sabbath, and because I seek to obey the commandments; and who is this to come and tell me that those who are marginalized, the leper and the widow, are better than I? Yet, take care because if you do not feel that you are on the margins, you will not be saved! This is humility, the path of humility: to feel so marginalized that one feels one’s need for the Lord’s salvation for it is he alone who saves and not our observance of the precepts.— Morning Meditation, 21 March 2017


No comments:

Post a Comment